The world as it appeared in 1642.
A beautifully restored map of the world from 1642 originally hand coloured to define continents.
A Double hemisphere hand coloured map of the world. Embellished with allegorical spandrel vignettes representing celestial hemispheres, north and south poles, sailing ships and sea monsters.
Interestingly this map shows North America extending to Japan, Japan shown as a oddly shaped island and it also shows Great wall of China.
This Map includes detail notations from Marco Polo, most notably the place name Beach in 'Terra Australis Incognita'. Relief shown pictorially.
Digital Remastered in house based off an original 1600s map to bring a timeless piece of art back to life with vibrant colours with a classic feel.
A0: 84.1cm x 118.8cm
A1: 59.4 x 84.1 cm
A2: 42 x 59.4 cm
- A faithful reproduction of an original hand coloured map
- Expertly produced giclée print features the subtle mottling and fading of the original vintage paper.
- Printed on archival 100% Cotton Rag watercolour paper using archival grade inks, Sepia-toned to create a deep amber hue
- All of the frames we use at The Weird & Wonderful are proudly manufactured in the UK.
- Our Classic frames are made from Polcore, a material which is made from recycled polystyrene waste.
- Our Luxury range use solid wood moulding with a natural wood texture.
- All of our fine art frames use styrene instead of glass to ensure safe delivery.
- FREE UK SHIPPING
- These frames can be sent worldwide. Please contact us prior to purchasing for an international shipping quote.